Bellingen Shire locals are being encouraged to use the NSW RFS Get Ready Weekend (September 19-20) to prepare for the bushfire season and start a broader conversation about being aware of and prepared for all hazards.
The 2019/20 bushfire season was the most devastating bushfire season in our state's history. It was a stark reminder of the danger of fire. It was also a reminder of the importance of being prepared and having a plan.
To support early planning and preparation, NSW RFS will once again host their annual Get Ready Weekend on September 19-20, in person and online. You can follow your local RFS brigade's Facebook page for information as it becomes available. You can also visit www.rfs.nsw.gov.au for more information.
Commissioner of Resilience NSW, Shane Fitzsimmons encouraged everyone to have a conversation around being prepared for emergency, whatever the hazard may be.
"Each year, communities across NSW may experience bushfires, home fires, floods, storms, heatwaves, power outages and other emergencies," Commissioner Fitzsimmons said.
"This year alone has been one of unparalleled emergencies. Communities across NSW were first impacted by drought, bushfire, then storm and flood, now pandemic - and all in quick succession. This has highlighted how important it is to be prepared for all hazards.
"Our emergency service organisations do an incredible job keeping us safe, but they can only do so much. Being aware and prepared is everyone's responsibility."
The dates and times for the Bellingen Shire Get Ready Weekend are as follows:
Urunga Park, Morgo St, Urunga on Saturday September 19 between 8am and 11am. Join us on our Facebook page to learn about the fire risks in your community.
Fernmount Fire Station, 25 Hyde street, Fernmount on Saturday September 19 between 10am and 4pm.
Hydes Creek Fire Station, 371 Hydes Creek Road, Hydes Creek on Saturday September 19 between 10am and 1pm.
Megan Fire Station, Berry street, Dorrigo on Saturday Septemver 19 between 9am and noon
Gleniffer Fire Station, 10 Timboon Road, Gleniffer on Sunday September 20 from 10:30am.
Repton/Mylestom and North Bellingen RFS held their events in August.
Get Ready in five simple steps:
- Know your risk - think about the area you're in and the types of disasters that could affect you.
- Plan now for what you will do - sit down and talk with your family and plan for what you will do if a disaster affects your area.
- Get your home ready - prepare your home by doing general home maintenance and checking your insurance coverage.
- Be aware - find out how to prepare, what to do if there is a disaster in your area and connect with NSW emergency services to stay informed.
- Look out for each other - share information with your family, friends, neighbours and those who may need assistance.