The Northern Territory will introduce strict border controls in response to the coronavirus pandemic, forcing anyone entering the region to quarantine themselves for 14 days.
The new requirements will come into force from Tuesday afternoon and will apply to entrance by road, rail, air and sea.
Exemptions will apply to health and emergency services, defence and policing, flight crews and freight, though all arrivals will have to show they meet the essential services criteria.
Exemptions may also be granted on compassionate grounds.
"The government is announcing these new measures today to give Territorians as much confidence as possible that we are taking every step possible to keep you safe," Chief Minister Michael Gunner said on Saturday.
"This is an unprecedented action for the Northern Territory. But these are unprecedented times."
Five people have now tested positive for coronavirus in the NT.
Mr Gunner said the restrictions would not impact the delivery of essential goods and services, with supermarkets and stores to remain stocked.
"The measures we are implementing are tough, but their purpose is clear, to save lives and keep Territorians safe," he said.
"That will always be our first priority."
The action came as the number of coronavirus cases in the NT rose to five.
The latest cases involve a couple who had been on the Ruby Princess cruise ship in Sydney before flying to Darwin on Saturday.
Australian Associated Press