FIFA president Gianni Infantino has said March's international football could be threatened by the coronavirus but remains hopeful that this year's European Championship and Olympic Games tournaments will go ahead unaffected.
On Friday, six countries reported their first cases of the virus and the World Health Organization (WHO) raised its global spread and impact risk alert to "very high".
The spread of the virus has already hit numerous sporting events and this week the Asian Football Confederation postponed six Asian Champions League matches and rescheduled others, including Perth Glory's clash with South Korean side Ulsan Hyundai FC.
A number of international fixtures, including Socceroos' World Cup qualifiers against Kuwait and Nepal, the Euro 2020 playoffs and several friendlies, are set for the final week of March, while the Matildas are scheduled to face Vietnam home and away in Olympic qualifying earlier in the month.
Asked whether he would consider calling off games, Infantino said nothing was out of the question.
"I wouldn't exclude anything at this moment. I hope we will never have to get into this direction," he said. "It will be difficult in any case to make a global ban because the situation (in each counry) is really different.
"The health of people is much more important than any football game."
Euro 2020 is scheduled to begin on June 12 and will see an unprecedented amount of international travel with the tournament being held in 12 cities in 12 different European countries.
Weeks later, the Olympic Games begin in Tokyo.
"I think the Euros will take place in June," Infantino said. "Before that we have many matches at international level with lots of travelling involved as well so we have to monitor the situation and those in charge, the government, the institutions they also take decisions on what is allowed and what isn't.
"We all hope the Olympic Games will take place as planned and that we can travel safely to Japan in the summer."
Australian Associated Press