It's time to kick up your heals and blow-off some steam at the Dorrigo Show this weekend.
The show has been a celebration of rural life for more than 108 years and it's a great opportunity for the community to come together, catch up with mates, and enjoy all the fun of a great Aussie country show.
Youth will be the focus of this popular three-day event with the theme 'Our Youth, Our Future'.
There will be a whole range of activities to attract and highlight young people.
"Children, youth and young adults always have been serious contributors to Dorrigo Show," says Show Society President, Sally Duckett,
Children, youth and young adults always have been serious contributors to Dorrigo Show.Sally Duckett, Show President
Sally says constant entertainment during the three days is the aim of this year's show.
She said a few of the highlights include:
- The Friday night rodeo
- A Circus Challenge on Saturday evening that will have young and the not so young engaged in various activities.
- The Backtrack Boys demonstrating dog high jumps.
- A Bush Dog demonstration by a leading trialler Warren Taylor, commentated by Scott Amon, Saturday at 10am.
Old show favourites which draw big numbers include:
- A large beef cattle show, highlighting many British and European breeds
- A dairy cattle exhibition
- Numerous horse and pony classes, including show jumping
- Woodchops, with cross-cut sawing (for women and men) and tree felling
- A large array of pavilion events including children's classes, art, photography, flowers and veggies, and many more.
- On-ground competition for motorbike riders
- Fun runs staged over varying distances
There will be axemen from across northern NSW in another corner of the showground competing in underhand, standing block and tree felling.
Last year, fifteen-year-old Austin Scrivener from Walcha was a crowd favourite, finishing first in the finals for the 300mm underhand and knocking the top of his tree ahead of the rest.
With quality exhibits, friendly people, and so much to do The Dorrigo Show is a great day out for the whole family.