Work on the heritage-listed Raleigh Bridge is progressing well, Roads and Maritime Services say, with painting and steel repair work on the first span completed last month.
A spokesperson said all major steel repair work on the $3.3 million NSW government-funded project, which began in June 2018, is expected to be complete by Christmas.
“Painting of the second span is also progressing well and is expected to be complete early in the New Year, weather permitting, after which the scaffolding will be moved onto the final span and painting will re-commence,” the spokesperson said.
“This will require the temporary pedestrian and cycleway to be closed for one week while the move takes place, with the closure date to be released shortly.
“Work will continue on the project in the meantime, which will involve the removal of lead paint from the existing structure and corrosion minimisation to ensure Raleigh Bridge continues serving the community into the future.”
No work will take place on the project over the Christmas close down period from Monday December 24 to Sunday January 6.
Roads and Maritime thanks the community for its patience while this work is carried out.
The Raleigh Bridge project is due for completion by mid-2019.